I went to a wedding shower the other day. It brought back fond memories of my wedding shower, where I received index cards with tips for a happy marriage written on them. Of course there were the usual ones, the common sense ones and the ones that read like the proverbs of Solomon.
Here are a few that I found helpful:
- Don’t spend too much time together.
- Spend as much time together as possible.
- Be your own person.
- Submit yourself to him. He is your master.
Well, maybe not so much, but here are some I really did like:
- Laugh. A lot.
- Never stop dating.
- Make him think he’s special.
And then I added one:
- When there’s something you really want to do, make him think it’s his idea.
So, what’s the secret to a long and happy marriage? There are no set rules, because everyone is different. But faithfulness, love, kindness, honor, interest, desire, those are all good words…and humor helps. Laugh—a lot!